The Turing Foundation aims at the elimination of the disfiguring disease leprosy. Leprosy has an incubation period of many years. One of the main challenges in leprosy elimination is to detect the disease in an early stage and to treat it before nerve damages have become irreparable.
This is why the Turing Foundation finances
scientific research into the early diagnosis and recovery of leprosy.
Note: Until 2009, the Turing Foundation also financed
recovery programs for leprosy patients
but nowadays all other ways of fighting leprosy, including assistance for (ex)patients or other scientific research projects,
fall outside the scope of the objectives of the Turing Foundation.
Please run through the following stages when submitting an application in the area of scientific research:
- 1. Ascertain that your application matches the objectives described above.
- 2. Ascertain that your application meets the conditions.
- 3. Fill out the complete project summary form.
- 4. Enclose the necessary additional documentation.
- 5. Send the application in its entirety, preferably electronically, to:
Ellen Wilbrink, director
1017 CC Amsterdam
For more information on how the foundation processes applications, please refer to our
assessment procedure for applications
For an impression of projects previously funded by the Turing Foundation, please refer to our general page on
- We fund only projects that fall within the scope of our objectives and that meet our conditions;
- We fund only research in case the results are made freely available to a broad audience;
- Project budgets that exceed € 25,000 require that after completion of the project a closing statement certified by an accountant be submitted to us;
- We only work in cooperation with non-profit organisations (non-profit initiatives by other organisations are only rarely taken into consideration - please contact us beforehand in such case. We will not look at applications by private persons);
- The project is non-profit distributing;
- The project can be assessed, has quantifiable results and is executed during a clearly defined period of time;
- The Turing Foundation does not support:
- Private individuals;
- Initiatives/organisations with strictly commercial, political or religious objectives;
- Initiatives/organisations that have connections with extremist organisations.
Project Summary Form Scientific Research
We kindly ask you to provide the following information, brief and to the point:
- Researcher (name, phone number, e-mail address);
- Contact person, in case this is not the researcher (name, phone number, e-mail address);
- Name of the research institute and research department/group;
- Website of the research institute and research department/group;
- Brief text on your research institute and research department/group (objectives, size, founded when and where);
- Name of the project;
- Brief description of the project (mentioning project partners);
- Total project budget;
- Total amount asked for as a contribution by the Turing Foundation;
- Overview of funds/current applications for this project (mentioning the budget deficit).
Additional Information Required
Each application should contain:
- The research proposal;
- Total project budget (in case of multiple years: long-range estimate) and a specification and motivation of the amount asked for.